Towards Better Sleep was established over 14 years ago by Clinical Psychologist Kathryn Smith and Psychiatrist Dr Curt Gray. Kathryn is a Clinical Psychologist and co-director of Brisbane based practice, Psychology Consultants and Dr Curt Gray is an experienced Psychiatrist and sleep specialist in public and private practice.
Towards Better Sleep is a cognitive behavioural treatment programme that uses evidenced based techniques that focus on sleep education and behavioural techniques, correcting faulty thinking and relaxation strategies.
Here are just a few reasons why the programme and its group setting has proven so effective for past participants.
- The group is held in 4 x 1 hour sessions at Psychology Consultant’s Morningside practice. A group setting offers many benefits including reducing the cost of treatment and giving clients the opportunity to share and learn from each others insomnia experiences.
- The cost is far less because of the group format, individual sessions are $185 each and you would need 2-3 sessions minimum.
- The group has been running with very good results for over 10 years, with the same facilitators – a Clinical Psychologist and a Psychiatrist
- The format of the group is laid out to successfully educate, correct, and complete homework strategies over the 6 weeks of the course
- Participants learn from each other, and keep each other motivated to correct their sleep problems
Each session costs $100.00 to attend, however we request full programme payment of $400.00 prior to the programmes’ commencement. These group sessions are a medical service, provided by a medical practitioner and are therefore subject to a Medicare rebate of $41.95 per session (as of 1 November 2012).
We will provide participants with a receipt on completion of each session to enable you to claim your rebate directly from Medicare.
About Your Facilitators
Dr Curt Gray completed his medical degree in 1985 and began specialist training in psychiatry in 1988. He is a fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists and has been a registered psychiatrist with the Medical Board of Queensland since 1993. From that time he ran a successful Brisbane private practice in general adult psychiatry and attended the Princess Alexandra Hospital as a Visiting Medical Officer. From early 2007 to late 2010 he held the position of Clinical Director, and Senior Specialist, at the Gold Coast Hospital Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry Service. Dr Gray is now a Senior Specialist at The Prince Charles Hospital and also consults with Psychology Consultants. He has a major clinical interest, and considerable experience, in the area of Sleep Disorders Medicine, especially the assessment and management of insomnia disorders. He is a recent member of the RANZCP Federal Committee for Examinations and is a member of the Australasian Sleep Association, where he is involved in the Special Interest Group on Insomnia.
Kathryn Smith graduated from the University of Tasmania in 1994 having obtained a Bachelor of Arts, a Graduate Diploma of Psychology and Education, and a Masters of Clinical Psychology. She has worked in outpatient, community and inpatient settings within the public sector in Tasmania and Brisbane. Her areas of interest include cognitive behavioural therapy, testing, and the treatment of anxiety disorders. She moved to Queensland in 1999 and worked for both Royal Brisbane and Princess Alexandra Hospitals in senior positions. She is now in full time private practice and co-director of the firm Psychology Consultants Pty Ltd. She is a fully registered psychologist, a full member of the Australian Psychological Society and a full member of the College of Clinical Psychologists.